Lord of the Rings RPG Archive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bring your friends and game groups and show the community the Lord of the Rings RPG is still active!
I'm sorry to announce that the projects have been abandoned. Feel free to use what's posted.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Writing and collection
PBP? EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 am by Eiweing

» The One Ring
PBP? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 6:58 pm by Pallandir

» Greetings
PBP? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 am by Celegorn

» Still Here
PBP? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:59 pm by ThunderChilde

» Conversion - Words of the Wise
PBP? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 pm by ThunderChilde

» Writing and collection
PBP? EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:44 am by Kel

» Template?
PBP? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:08 am by Kel

» Almost through
PBP? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 am by Celegorn

» Finally starting!
PBP? EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 am by Celegorn

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

You are not connected. Please login or register

PBP?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PBP? Empty PBP? Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Black and Grey

Black and Grey

Hello world.
I've signed up looking to learn this pile of books I impulse bought from Origins. I'm shocked that there's no PbP action here. What gives? Are you guys shy? I'm not volunteering to GM ( I haven't learned the rules and want to play before I open that can of worms), but if anyone wants to start up game I'd like to hop in.
Incidently, has anyone noticed you can pick the rules and supplements up brand new for less than ten bucks a piece now? That made me sit up and take notice. I don't know the CODA system from Code Duello, but for less than the cost of the snacks and caffiene it'll take to run a session, I'll check it out.

2PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 am

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

I'm not sure why someone hasn't picked up that responsibility either. As for myself, I'm honestly too busy. I'm almost done with my Bachelors degree but still need to make it through the rest of this semester, and if I don't screw it up, an additional one after. Senior classes are keeping me so busy I have little time for anything else!

I highly encourage the start of a game though. Perhaps if there's a constant game running, it'll draw more attention to the forum, and we'll make a mark.

http://www.wix.com/skinnerman02/lord-of-the-rpg-archive

3PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 am

Black and Grey

Black and Grey

Would you have time to play a character if someone else ran it? Say, a game that only required one or two IC posts a week. That's what I'm looking for.

4PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:10 pm

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

Possibly, sounds reasonable enough. But I won't run a game. That takes too much time. I'd be more than willing to play though.

5PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Pallandir

Pallandir

As I said before I would be willing to play in a game. I'm not quite sure if I'd be up to GMing it myself but if we get no one else who can I would be willing to. Only don't expect a masterpiece.

6PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:16 am

Black and Grey

Black and Grey

If you can forgive me for not being the perfect player I can excuse you for not being an expert GM. Who knows? If I get this down, maybe I can run a story in return.
I've always been kind of intimidated by the idea of running a Middle Earth game, regardless of system. You get points just for trying in my book.

7PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:24 am

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

I agree. Nobody's perfect. And if you have fun, what else matters?

8PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:28 am

Black and Grey

Black and Grey

It might be easier for whoever gets stuck with the first GM hot seat to know what they're working with. What do you guys like to see in a game? What makes Middle Earth for you? What types of character are you likely to run? What types of character/ situations do you NOT enjoy?

There are a lot of Fate and story games out there doing interesting things with character and chronicle generation that takes a lot of the burden off the GM. Maybe we could crib some of those ideas and tailor them to our pbp needs. For instance, the three of us could start making characters and decide how they each first met prior to the game and what their common background. At least that saves the beginning of the game from being "You guys all meet each other in the Prancing Pony and immediately trust each other implicitly. Now here's your mission." If Pallandir ends up wearing the GM hat, at least we'd have an NPC we're already invested in. Anyway, it will be fun. Collaborative character creation is as fun as playing, but without the possibility of getting your character killed.

I think I might like to play a Beorning or a Rider of Rohan. But I've still got a lot more reading to do and ideas to formulate. I'm not sure yet.

9PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Pallandir

Pallandir

Sounds like a great idea! As long as you guys dont expect an experts job I would be willing to GM. I could begin to form a plot and another character as soon as I get home in a few days. If I do GM could you both tell me what kind of things you would be looking for, what time and part of middle earth you enjoy, etc. Also would we be using house rules or following CODA completely. Tell me what you guys would want.

10PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 am

Black and Grey

Black and Grey

We should probably use some house rules if only because that's kind of the point of the website from which this forum springs. If I go the Beorning route, I think I'd want to use the Blood of Beorn/ Beorning Berzerker rules from the LoTR Compendium II. I think this guy would be struggling to rejoin human society after spending a couple years living apart from it as a bear (maybe he was grieving, or doing some shamanic rite of passage, or dodging the draft. I don't know yet.) At the moment, I'm leaning more towards a jovial horsethief that's either from Rohan or plies her trade there. So I'm either going Rogue or Barbarian, unless something else from the books takes my fancy.
Of course, I don't know CODA yet, so I can hardly advocate rules.
Timewise, I'd like something from anywhere between the Hobbit and the Two Towers, so I guess the end of the Third Age up to the beginning of the War of the Ring? It's what's familliar and what I think about when I think of the setting.
I don't know about human magic users. I can accept elves and the 5 Wizards calling up forces of nature, talking to animals, and healing wounds. The RPG seems to suggest that human magicians or sorcerors can aspire to become Wizards like Gandalf, and that just snaps my suspension of disbelief right there. If we could go light on humans slinging D&D spells, that would be faboo.
What say you, Celegorn?

11PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 am

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

I'm probably going to pick randomly from the pre-generated characters I've made. Less thinking on my part, and they're not too shabby. I've always been partial to Ranger-like campaigns wandering Eriador, but have no real preferences otherwise. I'll be happy to do anything really. Let's just remember, that there is a specific area on the boards for PBP games and keep the campaign there.

12PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 am

Pallandir

Pallandir

Celegorn, is it possible that you could make a new place in the PbP section where there can be multiple topics (like OOC and the actual Campaign etc.) and make me a moderator of just that section? If you get what I mean.
Personally I like playing away from where the LOTR Books took place, and rather playing in the north around Eriador and Rhovanion. As for spells, first of all in CODA I believe are much more lighter than D&D anyways, but I agree I would not put them on the same magic level as elves. In my games before I liked Loremaster Humans better because I feel it just fits in easier. I have a few characters I'm thinking up, A human Loremaster, Rogue, and warrior. But I think since I probably will be GMing I'll go with the Loremaster as He'll be supplying the knowledge It'll work best.

13PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

How about you two figure out exactly what you want to do, and I'll fill in what's needed. If we have a talker, by way of loremaster, and bruider, through the Beorning, that leaves me with either a warrior/scout or rogue. Which I'm plenty okay with. I'll see if I can get another player as well. Won't be able to really talk to him about it until next week though.

14PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:22 am

Pallandir

Pallandir

So what we have so far is three characters (most likely being a Loremaster, Barbarian, and Rogue? All humans I suppose as well.) all meeting together somewhere in Eriador, presumably an inn around Bree. We will most likely be using a few house rules, especially if Black and Grey is playing a Beorning. As for the year when this adventure starts, I have a few ideas spinning in my head.

15PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

Okay, my semester is done, and ended up being total crap. Oh well. Moving on. I created two new categories in the PBP section, In-Character Gaming and Out-of-Character discussion. Pallandir, you should be a moderator for the In-Gaming section. Let me know if I've done something screwy. Going to start re-organizing my materials for the sourcebooks.

16PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:39 am

Pallandir

Pallandir

I don't think I'm moderator but thats fine, I guess it doesn't really matter. So do we move this discussion there or only when we have it all planed out? Black and Gray how are your thoughts coming?

17PBP? Empty Re: PBP? Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Celegorn

Celegorn
Admin

Huh, you should be a Mod, I'll check again.

Edit: Okay, you should be a Mod now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum